Scottish Rumbledthumps (Potatoes and Cabbage)
Ingredients - Serves 4:
- 1 lb. Potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 lb. White Cabbage, Spring Cabbage, or Kale
- 3 oz. Butter
- 2 oz. Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 1 medium onion or the white part of two leeks, finely
- Single Cream
- Chopped fresh chives
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Slice the cabbage and boil gently in salted water until
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed frying pan and sauté the
onions or leeks, to soften but not colour.
- Add the mashed potatoes and cabbage.
- Add a little cream to
loosen, season to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Place the mixture in an ovenproof dish, cover with grated
cheddar cheese and place under a hot grill or oven to brown.
- Serve as a vegetarian main course or as an accompaniment to