Northumbrian Carlings (Peas and Onion Herb Cakes)
- 1½ pints Stock or Water
- 8oz Dried Green Peas
- 2oz Fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2oz Butter
- ½ tsp Mixed Dried Herbs
- 1 oz. flour
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Soak the peas overnight in cold water.
- Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Place in a large saucepan and cover with the stock (or
- Boil for 1½ - 2 hours, stirring regularly, add extra stock
(or water) if needed, until the peas are tender.
- Allow to cool.
- Drain (reserving the liquid).
- Place into a bowl with breadcrumbs, onion, herbs, half of
the butter (melted) and season to taste.
- Mix well to form a stiff mixture, adding a little of the
reserved liquid (if required).
- Shape into cakes, lightly dust with seasoned flour.
- Melt remaining butter in a frying pan and fry until golden
brown, turning once.
- Serve immediately with gammon, ham or grilled bacon.
- Alternatively, they can be used as a part of a vegetarian