Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 Firm ripe or green medium tomatoes (about 1-1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour or cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or bacon grease
- Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle slices with
salt and pepper; let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile place flour (or cornmeal),
milk, eggs (well beaten), and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Heat 2 tbspn. olive oil (or bacon grease) in a skillet on medium heat.
- Dip tomato
slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs.
- In the skillet, fry
half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or
- As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil (or bacon grease)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.