Steak and Kidney Pie
- 2lb Steak
- 1 Beef Kidney
- 12oz Short crust Pastry
- ¾ pint Beef Stock or Water
- 2 Onion
- 4 tbsp Suet
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- 1½ tbsp Worcester Sauce
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Wash the kidney, remove membranes and trim, cut kidney in
- Cube the steak into 1" cubes.
- Melt the suet in a heavy pan.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring often, until
- Add the steak and kidneys and fry until browned on all
- Add stock or water, Worcester sauce, salt, and pepper bring
to the boil.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for 1½ hours, or until the
steak is tender.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C; 400°F
- Blend the butter with the flour to make paste.
- Drop small pellets of this paste into the sauce and stir to
- Place in a deep pie dish and sprinkle with parsley.
- Cover with pastry, making a hole in the top to allow steam
to escape, brush with a little beaten egg or milk to glaze.