Ingredients Serves Three:
- 1 1/2
- 2 3/4 cups clam juice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 3/8 pound catfish or flounder, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 3/8 pound
grouper fillet, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 pound squid, cut in 1/2"
- 9 large or 18 small shrimp, in their shells!
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers, finely
chopped and seeded
- 1/2 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup
rice or couscus
- Scrub mussels and rinse well. Place in a bowl of salted water to cover, sprinkle with 1
tablespoon cornmeal, breadcrumbs or all-purpose flour and refrigerate overnight;
- Place mussels in a large skillet with 3/4 cup
water, cover and bring to a boil. Remove mussels as they open, reserving meat
and discard shells.
- Pour boiling liquid into a large pot and add enough clam
juice to make 6 cups.
- Stir in saffron; keep broth hot, over low heat.
- Sprinkle all the seafood with salt and let sit 10 minutes at room
- In a mortar or small food processor, mash parsley,
garlic, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, paprika and a
little water to form a paste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat 6 tablespoon oil in a pan, over medium high heat, and
quickly saute monkfish, grouper, squid and shrimp, in their shells, 1 - 2
minutes; they will not be fully cooked - Remove to a warm platter.
remaining 2 tablespoon oil and saute onions, scallions and red peppers until
- Increase heat to high, add tomato and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice and coat well with pan juices.
- Pour in hot broth, bring to
a boil and boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add reserved fish, except
shrimp, mussels, and garlic mixture and stir to combine.
- Taste for salt and
continue to cook 2 minutes longer.
- Arrange shrimp and uncooked mussels
over rice; place open mussel shells face up.
- Place in oven and
bake, uncovered, until rice is al dente, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- If most of the
liquid has not been absorbed place pan over high heat for 1 - 2 minutes without
- Cover with foil and let sit 10 minutes before serving.