- 1 Hare or Large Rabbit
- Blood from the Hare or Rabbit
- 4 rashers Bacon
- 2 Onions
- 1 Lemon
- 15g (½ oz) Butter
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 6 Cloves
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- Seasoned Flour
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°C: 325°F
- Chop the bacon and onion, zest the lemon.
- Lightly coat the joints of the hare with flour and place in
a flame-proof casserole dish.
- Add the herbs, bacon, onion, spices, lemon zest and
- Cover with water, bring slowly to the boil.
- Cover and transfer to the oven for 2 - 2½ hours or until the
hare is tender.
- Remove the hare, onions and bacon with a slotted spoon and
- Discard the bouquet garni and the cloves.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add the cooking liquid and stirring continuously
- Stir in the blood and add port to taste, mix well and adjust
the seasoning if necessary.
- Pour the sauce over the hare and serve with redcurrant