One shall cut a young chicken in two and wrap about it whole leaves of
salvia, and cut up in it bacon and add salt to suit the taste. Then cover that
with dough and bake like bread in the oven.
- 5 cup flour
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 3 tbspn dried sage (or sufficient fresh sage leaves
- about 1 3/4 cup water
- 3 lb chicken, cut in half
- Make a stiff dough by kneading together flour and water. Roll it out.
the dough with sage leaves and the sage leaves with strips of bacon.
- Wrap each
half chicken in the dough, sealing it.
- You now have two packages which contain,
starting at the outside, dough, sage, bacon, chicken.
- Put them in the oven and
bake like bread (325deg. for 2 hours). We find the bacon adds salt enough.
- The part of the bread at the bottom is particularly good, because of the
bacon fat and chicken fat. You may want to turn the loaves once or twice, or
baste the top with the drippings.