Lady Login's Receipt 1856.
- 1 cleaned Sheep or Lamb's Stomach Bag
- 900g (2lb). dry Oatmeal
(1 pint) Stock
- 450g (1lb) chopped Mutton Suet
- 450g (1lb) Lamb's or
- Heart and Lights of the Sheep
- 1 large Onion
- ½ tsp
- Salt And Pepper
- Boil and mince the liver, heart and lights, chop the onion.
- Toast the
oatmeal slowly until it is crisp, then mix all the ingredients (except the
stomach bag) together, and add the stock.
- Fill the bag just over half full,
press out the air, add the remaining mixture and sew up securely.
- Place in a
large pot of boiling water, prick the haggis all over with a large needle so it
does not burst and boil slowly for 4 to 5 hours.