Griddled Trout With Herbs
The herbs below are what might have been used in Anglo-Saxon East
Anglia, but use whatever you might fancy. Try to use fresh, although
dried is acceptable.
6 fresh cleaned trout
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1-2 tablespoons dried
75g (3 oz) soft butter
18 fresh mint leaves or 2 teaspoons dried
leaves from 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
- 6 fresh sage leaves or 1 scant teaspoon dried
- 1-2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
6-9 grinds black pepper
Put one sprig or generous shake of rosemary down the middle of each
- Chop all the other herbs and seasonings and mash them into the
- Use this to coat the fish generously on each side.
barbeque or grill it for 4-5 minutes on each side or till the skin is
well browned and the flesh flaking off the bone.
- Baste now and then with
the butter which runs off.
- Serve at once with lot of fresh bread and a
salad or a simple green vegetable.