Gower Oyster Soup (Swp Wystrys Bro Gwyr)
- 2 lbs. mutton
- salt and
black pepper to taste
- 2 oz pearl barley
- pinch of mace
- l medium-sized onion
- 1 1/2 oz flour
- l medium-sized carrot
- 4 dozen bearded oysters
- 1 medium-sized turnip
- 2 oz butter
- Wash the meat and cut off excess fat.
- Place in a saucepan and add 3 pints of
- Bring to boil and skim off any fat on the surface of the liquor
the barley, peel and dice the onion' carrot and turnip; add the barley and
vegetables to the pan
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 2 1/2-3
- Melt the butter in a pan and rub it into the flour using a wooden spoon.
- Poor the mutton broth on to this, stirring all the time.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with the oysters, opened and on the bottom shell.