- 2lb Mixed Game
- 1lb Sausage Meat
- 12oz Hot-Water Crust Pastry
- 280ml (½ pint) Aspic
- 4oz Bacon
- 4oz Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Fresh Herbs (Marjoram, Sage, Thyme), chopped
- 1 Egg
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C: 400°F
- Remove the flesh from the game, cut into strips.
- Line a greased pie mould with pastry, reserving enough to
for the lid.
- Place a layer of bacon at the base of the mould.
- Cover with a layer of half the sausage meat, then a layer of
game, the remaining sausage meat and finally the mushrooms - season and add
herbs between each layer.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid and cover the
- Press to seal, trim and decorate.
- Brush with beaten egg, to provide a glaze.
- Cut a hole in the centre, to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 150°C: 300°F
- Bake for 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Heat the aspic just enough to melt, pour into the pie
through the steam vent using a funnel.
- Chill for 6-8 hours before serving.