Conyng or Hen or Mallard
- 4 1/2 lb duckling, or 3 lbs of chicken or rabbit
- about 2 1/2 medium small
- 2 cup chicken broth (dilute if you are using the double strength
- 1 cup wine
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp
- 6 slices bread
- 4 tbspn red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Take conyng, hen or mallard, and roast him almost enough; or else chop
him, and fry him in fresh grease;
- Fry onions minced, and cast altogether
into a pot, and cast thereto fresh broth and half wine;
- Cast thereto cloves,
maces, powder of pepper, canel; then stepe fair bread with the same broth and
draw it through a strainer with vinegre.
- And when it hath well boiled, cast the
liquor thereto, and powder ginger, and vinegre, and season it up, and then thou
shall serve it forth.
Meat should be boned or at least broken into small pieces after roasting.