Chykens in Hocchee or Spiced Chicken
Take chykens and scald hem. Take persel and sawge, with o+ er erbes; take
garlec & grapes, and stoppe the chikenus ful, and see+ hem in gode broth, so
+ at + ey may esely be boyled + erinne. Messe hem & cast + erto powdour
- 3 1/2 lb chicken
- 4 T parsley
- 1 1/2 t sage
- 1 t marjoram
- 1 3/4 t
- 3/4 oz = ~10 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lb red grapes
- 2 10.5 oz cans conc.
chicken broth + 2 cans water
Powder douce (Topping):
- 1 t sugar,
- 1/4 t mace,
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- Note that all herbs are fresh.
- Clean the chicken, chop parsley and sage fine then mix with herbs in a bowl.
Herbs are fresh, measured chopped and packed down.
- Take leaves off the fresh
marjoram and thyme and throw out the stems, remove as much stem from parsley as
- Add garlic cloves whole, if very large halve.
- Add grapes, and
thoroughly but gently mix with the herbs.
- Stuff the chicken with the herbs,
garlic and grapes.
- Close the bird with a few toothpicks. Place chicken in pot
with broth and cook on stove top over moderate heat 1/2 hour, turn over, another
1/4 hour (in covered pot).
- Serve on platter with powder douce sprinkled over.