Ingredients - yields 12-14 bagels:
Prepare Sourdough Batter according to recipe. Be sure that you
have saved 1 cup starter separately to return to refrigerator. Let all ingredients come to room temp.
- Sift 1
1/2 cup flour, salt, and sugar into warm bowl.
- Stir in salad oil & eggs.
- Stir in sourdough batter and add enough additional flour for dough to
leave sides of bowl.
- Turn dough onto well floured board and knead in enough additional flour to make dough smooth & elastic (aboutt 1/4 cup).
- Place in warm
greased bowl, cover and set bowl in warm 85F spot until doubled in bulk; (about 2 hrs)
- When doubled, punch down and let proof for an
additional 1 1/2 hrs until doubled in bulk.
- Turn dough out onto floured board & divide it into 12-14 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 6" roll abt 3/4 " thick.
- Pinch the 2 ends together to form a doughnut shape. Boil 4 qts water &
add 2 tbsn. sugar.
- Drop each bagel into boiling water 1 at a time; boil only 4 at a
- Cook until they rise to the top and then turn over
- Cook 2 mins
longer; don't cook longer than 3 mins or they get tough.
with slotted spoon and place on greased cookie sheet.
- When all have been boiled,
put in preheated 375F oven and bake for 20-25 mins until crusty & golden
Idaho Web Design