Mushrooms of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed
above; and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and parboil; if you
wish to put them in pastry add oil, cheese, and powdered spices.
Fine Powder of Spices
from Menagier p. M-40:
Take an ounce and a drachm of white ginger, a quarter-ounce of hand-picked
cinnamon, half a quarter-ounce each of grains and cloves, and a quarter-ounce of
rock sugar, and grind to powder.
- 1 lb mushrooms
- 9 oz cheese (parmesan)
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp grains
of paradise (aka Guinea Pepper, Atar, Aligator Pepper, Melegueta Pepper)
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/8 cup whole wheat flour
- Make a pie crust by mixing flours and salt, stirring in water and kneading
- Roll it out and put it in a 9" pie shell.
- Slice mushrooms and parboil (put into boiling water and cook two minutes);
- Grate or chop cheese
- Grind grains of paradise and mix up spices.
mushrooms, 2/3 of cheese, spices and oil.
- Put mixture into pie shell, put remaining
cheese over; makes scant 9" pie.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes at 350deg.F.