This recipe for tomato sauce is a spicy preserve to accompany grilled meats
and yields from 8 to 10 pints
- 5 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 pounds green apples
- 2 pounds onions
- 4 cups malt or red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- Wash fruit; remove skins from
tomatoes in a boiling water bath.
- Peel apples and onions.
- Slice all fruit, using
a slicing blade in a food processor or by hand.
- Peel and crush
- Place tomatoes, apples, onions,
garlic, salt and vinegar in a large pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently
over a low heat until the juice from the fruit begins to run; continue stirring
until the fruit has all softened and become mushy.
This will take approximately
one hour; stir well at this stage to prevent fruit from
sticking to bottom of pan.
- Pass mixture through a sieve or
blend with a hand held blender.
- Into sieved mixture add sugar
and spices and return to the boil at a fairly high heat for
about 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Bottle and seal as per the jam