Summer Fruit Crumble
A baked dessert like this would have been sunk in the embers of the
log fire with a cauldron or pot upturned over it to form a lid...
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 2 1/2 lb mixed soft summer fruits-- raspberries, loganberries,
strawberries, currants, bilberries or whatever is available
Honey or brown sugar to taste
- 3 oz hazelnuts
- 3 oz wholemeal or wholewheat brown breadcrumbs
Put the fruits in a pan with about 1 inch
of water in the bottom and cook gently for 10-15 minutes or till the fruits are soft without being totally mushy.
- Sweeten to taste with honey or brown sugar (Saxons would have used
honey); how much you need will depend on what fruits you have used.
- Drain the excess juice and save to serve with the pudding.
- Chop the
hazelnuts until they are almost as fine as
the breadcrumbs, but not quite, then mix the two together.
- Spoon the
fruit into an ovenproof dish and cover with a thick layer of hazelnuts
- Bake in a moderate oven 350F for 20 - 30
minutes or till the top is slightly cruncy and browned.
- Serve with lots
of cream or plain yogurt and the warmed fruit juices.