Sticky Cinnamon Buns
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/4
- 4 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces)
coarsely chopped pecans
Making the dough -
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm
water, yeast and 1 tsp. sugar.
- Stir to dissolve and let sit until foamy, about 5
- Add milk, butter, remaining sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, salt and 3 cups
- Mix on low speed until blended.
- Switch to a dough hook and then, again on
low speed, slowly incorporate the remaining 1 cup of flour.
- Increase speed to
medium, kneading dough until smooth and slightly sticky (adding a little more
flour if too wet), 3 to 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a
large, buttered bowl.
- Turn dough over in bowl to coat with the butter from the
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled
in volume, about 1 hour (or 2 hours if not in an entirely warm place).
- After the
dough has risen, punch down.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured cutting board and
let sit 20 minutes.
Make the filling
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Melt butter; keep separate.
- Roll dough out into a 12" x 18" rectangle and brush with melted butter
and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Starting with the long side, roll
dough into a cylinder.
- Place seam side down on a flat surface and cut crosswise
into 15 slices.
Make the topping
- In a 1-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar,
butter, honey and corn syrup over low heat; stir until sugar and butter are
- Pour mixture into a greased 9" x 13" pan and sprinkle pecans on top.
- Place dough slices, flat side down, on top of prepared topping;
crowd them so they touch.
- Cover with plastic wrap, leaving room for the buns to
rise, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and let stand at room
temperature while the oven pre-heats.
- Preheat oven to 375° and bake buns until
golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately (and carefully as
not to spill hot topping on your toes!) invert onto a serving tray or baking
- Let buns cool slightly and serve warm.