Old Fashioned Mincemeat Pie
mincemeat pie for the holidays!
Crust for 4 pie Crusts and Toppings:
- 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups plus 6 tblspn cold butter,
cut into bits
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup+ ice water
- 1/4 tsp.+ salt
Mincemeat preparation makes 3 to 4 pies:
- 3 cups water
- 3 lb. rib roast
- 2 to 3 cups apple cider
- 10 oz. raisins
- 1/4 cup apricots
- 1/4 cup prunes
- 1/4 cup figs
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup
cranberries (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 5-6 meduim apples, chopped to bite
- 1/2 cup rum or brandy
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with fingertips or
pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Break the eggs into
a bowl and add the ice water.
- Add to the flour mixture and mix gently
until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough in
six sections, form into 12 thick disks, and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour
- When dough has chilled for at least one hour, roll it out on a
lightly floured surface to fit a 3 9-inch pie pans. Press it into the bottom and
sides of the pie pans. Trim the dough around the edge of each pan, leaving a
1-inch overhang. Chill until ready to use.
- Roll out the 3 pieces of
dough for the top crusts, then fold into quarters and place on a plate. Cover
with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Boil or cook meat till tender, cut into bite-sized pieces and return to
the broth; simmer on the stove top.
- Add all ingredients except brandy; stirring
each as it is added.
- Continue to simmer and stir occasionally, raisins and fruits will
absorb the liquid.
- Taste and add more sugar, spice
or apple juice as needed for a semi-tart but spicy base.
- Fruit should swell up to
take up the meat liquid, add more apples if necessary.
- Add brandy and finish cooking.
- Cool and store in refrigerator until needed
- Mincemeat may be used immediately but will improve in flavor if kept covered
and chilled at least 1 day and up to 1 week.
- Spoon the cooked and cooled mincemeat filling
into the unbaked pie crusts, make vents in the top crust and
bake pies at 425 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until crusts are golden brown.