- 8oz Sugar
- ½ pint Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup (maple if you want maple flavoring; otherwise
regular pankake syrup)
- 1 tsp Warm Water
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ tsp Cream of Tartar
- Place the sugar, water, golden syrup and cream of tartar
into a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat gently until the sugar has completely
- Boil the mixture without stirring, to a temperature of 154°C
- Remove from the heat to prevent further cooking.
- Quickly mix the bicarbonate of soda with the warm water and
add to the sugar mixture, stirring gently.
- Pour the mixture into a 7inch by 11 inch
non-stick baking tray to a depth of at least 1 inch.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before marking into bars or
- Eat as soon as cool, as if kept it becomes soft and sticky.