A 15th Century Recipe.
- 1lb Gooseberries
- 12 fl oz Double cream
- 1oz Butter
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and add the gooseberries
- Cover the saucepan and cook over a lowe heat until the
gooseberries are soft and mushy (approx. ½ hour).
- Remove the gooseberries from the saucepan, beat to a pulp
with a wooden spoon.
- Pass the pulp through a sieve, discarding the skins and
- Taste the gooseberries and if too tart add more sugar.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Whip the cream and gently fold into the gooseberry pulp.
- Divide equally into small glasses.
Chill for at least one hour before serving.