- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarc
Trifle Cake Ingredients:
- 3/4 pound lady fingers, pound
cake or sponge cake
- 6 - 8 macaroons, crushed
- 2 - 3 tablespoons strawberry
- 1/3 cup sweet sherry
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, thickly sliced
- Prepared custard (above recipe)
- 1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Use a double
boiler, or place a small pot over boiling water. (If you cook over direct heat,
be sure to not burn.)
- Heat cream.
- When heated whisk in egg
yolks, lemon zest, and sugar.
- Stir until sugar is melted.
- Whisk in cornstarch.
- Cook, stirring until thickened.
- Set aside until ready to use.
- If using pound
or sponge cake, cut into pieces similar to ladyfingers.
- Spread pieces with a
layer of preserves.
- Put pieces in large bowl, side
spread with preserves facing up. (This can be a double layer.)
- Sprinkle sherry
- Toss crushed macaroons over cake
- Cover with fruit.
- Pour prepared custard over all and smooth with a
- Spread whipped cream over custard
and sprinkle almonds over the cream.
- Chill for 2- 3 hours.