Cooked Custard Ice Cream
This is a rich, yummy ice cream that will please the palate and make you proud
to serve it. A bit expensive to make, but worth every penny. Yield: About a 1/2
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 quart heavy cream (whipping
- 1/2 quart plus 1 cup whole milk (3.5 to
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract (not
- Beat egg yolks until they are a
lemony color. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat cream, milk,
sugar and salt until it just begins to make little bubbles around the side of
the pan; do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Take one cup of hot liquid and
pour in a thin, steady stream while stirring eggs furiously to incorporate the
- Add egg mixture to ingredients in
pan; return to the heat and cook over low medium heat, stirring constantly,
until the mixture will coat a spoon.
- Remove from heat, cool for ten
minutes, then mix in vanilla extract. *(If you use vanilla beans, split the pod
and rake the tiny seeds into the mixture before you cook it. Add th e empty
vanilla pods, too, then remove after cooking is finished.
- Place in refrigerator for about
two hours, until mixture is thoroughly chilled. Then use to make ice cream
following the instructions for your ice cream maker.