For the Apple Filling and Topping:
- 2 tbspn. cinnamon
- 5 tbspn. sugar
- 5 to 6
cups sliced apples (I used Granny Smiths)
For the cake:
- 2 cup
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- pinch salt
eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbspn
- 1 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup tube or bundt pan with
- Topping and Filling:
- Combine cinnamon and sugar - set aside 1 tablespoon for topping.
- Toss prepared apples
with remainder and set aside.
- For the cake, whisk together sugar, applesauce, coffee, vanilla, orange
juice, salt, and eggs.
Combine flour, baking powder, and nutmeg and fold into sugar mixture.
- Spoon a little more than one third of the batter into oiled
and floured pan. Cover
with half of apple filling mixture, then spoon in remaining batter and apple slices.
Sprinkle top lightly with the reserved cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until done. Loosen sides with a butter
knife, then invert cake onto a plate for serving.