English Tea Cake
This recipe yields 6 cakes.
- 1 1/2 oz wet yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar +
- 1 cup milk (warm)
- 1/2 cup water (warm)
- 6 cups flour + kneading, sifted, kept in a warm place
- 1 tsp freshly-ground salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup dried fruit
- 1/8 cup mixed citrus peel
- add sherry to flavor (optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Combine yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in
a small bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and water in a pot; heat
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
in butter with fingertips.
- Add yeast
mixture and remaining sugar; gradually add the warmed milk.
- Blend until the
dough becomes elastic and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Mix in
the fruit and peel.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and pliable.
- Dust flour inside of a warm bowl; place dough in
it and cover with a lightly floured clean towel.
- Leave in a warm place, until doubled in bulk; about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and gently knead; do not overwork.
- Cut dough into 6 even pieces and shape into even, smooth rounds.
- Place cakes onto a baking sheet and
cover with a towel for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450
degrees; bake cakes for 30
- Dissolve 1/4 cup sugar
in water over low heat to make glaze; brush over hot cakes.
- Cool and serve.