Crust for 2 pies (double ingredients for 4):
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups plus 2 Tblsp cold butter,
cut into bits
- 2 large egg
- 12 tblspn. ice water
- 1/4 tsp salt
Mincemeat Ingredients for 4 to
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit such as pears,
apricots, apples, prunes, peaches, and figs (about 3/4 pound total)
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup
dried cranberries (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 recipes pastry dough 3/4
cup pecans (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg yolk
- Coarsely chop mixed dried
fruit and dates with spices, salt, and sugar.
dried-fruit mixture, cranberries, and 2 cups water in a heavy saucepand cook at a bare simmer,
stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, or until fruit is tender (mixture will be
- Stir 2 tablespoons water
and cornstarch in a small bowl until combined well.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into dried-fruit mixture and
simmer, stirring frequently for 2 minutes.
- Stir in brandy and cool mincemeat.
- Mincemeat may be used immediately but will improve in flavor if kept covered
and chilled at least 1 day and up to 1 week.
- Bring mincemeat to room
temperature before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Keeping remaining dough chilled, on a lightly floured surface with a floured
rolling pin roll out half of dough into a 13-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick).
Fit round into a 9-inch (1-quart) glass pie plate and trim edge, leaving a
1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell, covered, 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Coarsely chop pecans and in a shallow baking pan toast in middle of oven
until a shade darker, about 4 minutes. Stir pecans into mincemeat and spoon into
shell, smoothing top. Roll out remaining dough 1/8 inch thick and arrange over
filling. Trim dough, leaving a 3/4-inch overhang, and fold overhang under edge
of bottom shell, pressing to seal. Crimp edge decoratively.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 tablespoon water and yolk and lightly
brush crust with egg wash. Sprinkle crust with sugar and with a knife cut
several steam vents.
- Bake pie in middle of oven until crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes, and
transfer to a rack to cool. Pie may be made 8 hours ahead and kept at room
temperature. Serve pie warm or at room temperature.