Maine Blueberry Pie
To use dried berries soak in water overnight; for frozen dip frozen berries in
hot water for up to a minute or until thawed, then drain and pat dry.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tblsp cold butter,
cut into bits
- 1 large egg
- 6 Tblsp ice water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plus 1 Tblsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with 1 Tblsp water
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and mix with fingertips or
pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Break the egg into
a small bowl and add the ice water. Add to the flour mixture and mix gently
until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough in
half, form into two thick disks, and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour
- When dough has chilled for at least one hour, roll it out on a
lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie pan. Press it into the bottom and
sides of the pie pan. Trim the dough around the edge of the pan, leaving a
1-inch overhang. Chill until ready to use.
- Roll out the second piece of
dough for the top crust, then fold into quarters and place on a plate. Cover
with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Lightly rinse the
blueberries in a strainer and gently pat them dry. Toss with 1 cup sugar, the
cornstarch, cinnamon, grated lemon, and vanilla.
- Remove the pie shell
from the refrigerator and brush the bottom and sides with the egg-white mixture
to prevent sogginess.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture onto the pie
- Remove the top crust from the refrigerator and unfold it over the
filling. Trim the overhang to 1 inch. Moisten the edges where they meet, then
press them together lightly while turning them under.
- Make two or three
slashes in the top crust to allow steam to escape, then brush lightly all over
- Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
in oven preheated to 400 degrees F, in the lower third of the oven,
approximately 1 hour or until the filling bubbles and the crust is golden brown.
Cool on a rack until warm, or serve at room temperature.