Making Sugar Cured Smoked Pork Bacon and Ham
Cure Ingredients for 1 bacon (minimum 10 lbs.) requires 4 days prep
- 2 1/2 lbs. salt
- 2 gallons water
- 1 oz. salt peter
- 1 oz. baking soda
- 1 lb. brown sugar
- 1 oz. black pepper
Double cure mix as much as you have meat.
- Be sure to boil plenty of water the day before so it is good
- Put your meat in wood barrels or vinegar stone crocks.
- Leave small boned meat chunks submerged for 2 days, whole bacon submerged for 4 days,
cut hams and shoulders for 14 days, and whole hams for 21 days (weigh down meat so that it remains covered)!
- Storage area must be extremely cold, but not freezing to
prevent fermentation after submersion,
- Moisten surface by showering briefly and run thick thread through corner of
meats before placing in 90º to 100ºF
- Hold at this temperature while smoking for four hours, then gradually raise
the temperature to 165º to 170ºF, holding at this temperature until a minimum
internal temperature of 152ºF is reached.
- Total smoking time will depend upon the size of the meat. It is important
that internal temperatures be checked frequently. Total cooking time will be 12
to 14 hours.
- Remove from smokehouse and cold shower until internal temperature is reduced
to 120º to 130ºF.
- Allow product to stand at room temperature for two to three hours before
placing in a dry cooler.