- 6 Canadian herrings
- 1 tablespoon
to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar or to cover
- 1 large onion,
- 1 thinly sliced lemon (optional)
- 2 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 bay
- Remove the heads from the herring and
scale the fish. Wash well, open them, and remove the milt (roe of male fish).
Clean the fish well, drain. Lay the herring and milt in water to cover in the
- The next day rub the milt glands
through a sieve or mash
them well, and mix with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and a few tablespoons of the
- Place in a 1 1/2-quart jar in layers
the herring, onion, lemon slices, cloves,
peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- Add the milt gland mixture, the
remaining vinegar, and as much of the remaining sugar as your taste
- Cover the jar and keep in the
refrigerator for at least 4 days.