Yield: About 9 pints
From USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning
- 3 qts chopped cucumbers
- 3 cups each of chopped sweet green and red peppers
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup canning or pickling salt
- 4 cups ice
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tsp each of mustard seed, turmeric, whole allspice, and
- 6 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
- Add cucumbers, peppers, onions, salt, and ice to water and
let stand 4 hours.
- Drain and re-cover vegetables with fresh ice water for another
hour. Drain again.
- Combine spices in a spice or cheesecloth bag.
- Add spices to sugar and vinegar.
- Heat to boiling and pour mixture over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Heat mixture to boiling and fill hot into clean jars,
leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations:
Recommended process time for Pickle Relish in a
Process Time at Altitudes of 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000
ft Above 6,000 ft
Jar Size Half-pints or Pints 10 min 15 min