Makes about 3 cups
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 onion, halved
- 1 small bay leaf (not California)
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 bunch fresh dill
- 3 beets (1 lb without tops)
- Bring all ingredients except beets to a boil in a 2- to
3-quart saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cool marinade, then chill covered 1 day to allow flavors to
- Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Cook beets in a saucepan of boiling salted water 1 to 1 1/4
hours until tender.
- Drain and cool.
- Slip off skins and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Stir together beets and marinade, then marinate, covered and
chilled 1 day.