Preparing Venison or Game Sausage
Venison is high quality, delicious and nutritious meat. Care
should be used in handling venison just as you would any other meat. Most of
the flavor in a meat product is in the fat; therefore, in making a breakfast
type sausage using game meat, pork fat is used.
- 25 lbs. lean venison or trimmings
- 25 lbs. fat pork (jowls or fresh bellies)
- (2 cups) 1 lb. salt
- (15 Tbs.) 3 oz. black pepper
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. ginger
- (8 Tbs.) 1 oz. rubbed sage
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. crushed red pepper (optional)
- (5 Tbs.) 1 oz. ground red pepper (optional)
- Cut lean venison and pork into small pieces, add spices and
- Grind twice through 1/8-inch or 3/16-inch plate.
- Sausage may be stuffed or pattied to be frozen or
smoked (see curing meats)!