Making Cured and Smoked Polish Sausage Kielbas
Polish sausage is made of coarsely ground lean pork with
some added beef. The basic spices for this well known sausage are garlic and
- 8 lbs. pork shoulder or lean trim (75% lean)
- 2 lbs. beef trimmings (80% lean)
- 4.8 oz. ice or water
- (7 1/4 Tbs.) 3.6 oz. salt
- (4 Tbs.) 1.6 oz. sugar
- (2 1/2 Tbs.) 0.5 oz. white pepper
- (2 1/4 tsp.) 0.3 oz. mustard seed
- (4 tsp.) 0.2 oz. marjoram
- (1 1/2 tsp.) 0.1 oz. garlic powder
- (2 1/2 tsp.) 0.2 oz. nutmeg
- (1 1/4 tsp.) 0.2 oz. monosodium glutamate
- (1 a cups) 5.6 oz. nonfat dry milk
- (1 1/4 tsp.) 0.2 oz. sodium nitrate
- (1/8 tsp.) 0.025 oz. sodium nitrite (optional)
- Grind beef and pork through 1/4-inch plate.
- Add spices and
water, mix thoroughly.
- Grind through 3/16-inch plate.
- Stuff into natural hog
casings and hold overnight (38ºF) for cure to react.
- Smoke at 90º to 100ºF for
- Raise temperature gradually to 165º to 170ºF in smokehouse and cook
until internal product temperature reaches 150ºF.
- NOTE: Beef gives this product
a deeper red color and improves the product consistency and appearance.