Yield: 7-8 pints
- 5 pounds cleaned weight cucumbers (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- 1 cup powdered pickling lime
- 1 gallon cold water
- Soak prepared cukes in water and lime for 24 hours.
- Next day, drain and wash cukes. Cover with cold water. Soak
- Drain cukes. Cover again with cold water. Soak 3 hours.
- Drain cukes and tap dry on a large towel.
Make syrup with following:
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups plus 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed pickling spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Method for Syrup:
- Put cukes in this uncooked syrup for 12 hours or overnight.
- Drain off syrup. Add 1/2 cup sugar to it and bring to boil
in large saucepan.
- Add cukes. Simmer 45 minutes.
- Fill hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Seal