- lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Tahini.(paste made from ground sesame seeds)
- Heat it well, stirring to prevent scorching.
- Pack it into half-pint or pint jars to within an inch of the
- Mixture must have excess moisture (Liquid over dry surface of hummus)
and remove any air
- Process in a pressure canner for 35 minutes at 10 pounds
pressure unless you live at an altitude over 1,000 feet.
- Check your canning manual for instructions on increasing
your pressure, if necessary, to match your altitude.
- Yes, you can home can foods with added oil/fat.
- The reason you should do so cautiously is that during the
processing, sometimes some of the fat or oil gets between the lid and jar rim,
interfering with the sealing as the jar cools.
- Keep the jar rim very clean on capping the jar and check
each jarís seal very well after the jar cools.
- Any that doesnít seal, refrigerate and use soon.