How to Make Cream Cheese
- 2 cups whole milk (500 mL)
- 2 cups heavy cream (500 mL
- 2 Tbl fresh cultured buttermilk (30 mL)
- 1/4 tablet Junket rennet tablet
- Sterile cheese cloth (boil to sterilize, hang to
- Combine milk and cream in a stainless pot.
- Gently warm to 70
F (21 C), stir regularly.
- Mix buttermilk thoroughly into the warmed milk-cream
- Let sit 15 minutes.
- Dissolve 1/4 tablet of Junket
rennet in 1/4th cup cool water (30 mL).
- Stir solution of rennet thoroughly into inoculated
milk/cream; cover again.
- Allow to sit overnight at warm room temperature (70-75 F).
- The mixture should have gelled by the next morning.
1/2 - 1 tsp salt on the surface.
- Stir briefly and gently with a whisk to produce pieces about
the size of a pea.
- Line a large strainer with the sterile cheese cloth. Pour the semi-liquid product gently
into the cloth.
- Let drain for 30 minutes.
- Pick up the corners of the cloth, wrap corners in a looped
thick rubber band, hang over a bowl to drain. Hang in refrigerator turning solidifying mass in the cloth to hasten drainage. Use within a week or so.