Makes approx.80 pieces.
- 1¾ Pints Water
- 2lb Sugar
- 10oz Corn Flour (Corn Starch)
- 8oz Icing Sugar
- 1½ tbsp Rosewater
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- Red Food Colouring (optional)
- Place the sugar, 285ml (½ pint) water, and lemon juice in a
heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, without stirring, until
the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage 114 - 118°C (238 - 245°F).
- The sugar mixture will form a soft ball which can be
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a second large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir
together 225g (8oz) corn flour and the cream of tartar.
- Gradually stir in the remaining water until no lumps remain.
- Stir constantly, until the mixture boils and forms a thick,
- Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the cornstarch mixture,
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, to prevent sticking,
for about 1 hour, or until the mixture has become a pale golden colour.
- Stir in the rosewater and add food colouring (if used).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and spread
- Cool to room temperature, uncovered; allow standing
overnight to set.
- Sift the icing sugar and a little corn flour onto a large
- Turn out and cut into 1-inch squares with an oiled knife.
- Roll pieces in the icing sugar mixture to coat well.
- Store in an airtight container with sheets of waxed paper,
dusted with the sugar mixture, separating every layer.
Idaho Web Design