Old Fashioned Peanut Brittle
- 12oz Raw Peanuts or Raw Cashews, coarsely chopped
- 6oz Sugar
- 6oz Light Syrup
- 2fl oz Water
- 3 tbsp Butter, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Butter a large baking tray; set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar,
syrup, water, and butter.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring constantly with
a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar.
- (Try to avoid splashing mixture onto side of the pan.)
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, to 114 -
118°C (238 - 245°F) on sugar thermometer, soft-ball stage.
- Add the nuts.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, to 300° on
sugar thermometer, hard-crack stage (10 to 15 minutes).
- Be careful that the mixture does not burn.
- Remove the pan from heat.
- Quickly stir in vanilla and baking powder into the hot
mixture, stirring constantly until light and foamy.
- Immediately pour and spread mixture onto the baking sheet.
- With 2 forks, lift and pull into a rectangle.
- Pull gently to avoid tearing.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Break into pieces.
Idaho Web Design