- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light (not dark) corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- food coloring
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in heavy saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Continue cooking until mixture forms soft ball when tested in cold water (or use a
- In the mean time, beat egg whites until stiff - then pour 1/2 cup
of syrup over whites, beating fast all the time.
- Continue to cook remaining syrup while beating egg whites, until syrup
reaches the light crack stage when dropped in cold water
(this will happen
- Pour remaining syrup over egg white mixture, beating all the while.
- Continue beating until candy begins to hold its shape.
- Stir in vanilla and nuts
and food coloring. Drop by teaspoonful onto waxed paper.
- Makes 50-60 pieces.
If the weather is damp or humid then test the hardness of the syrup in a small bowl filled with water that has been chilled with ice cube. When you drizzle some of the syrup into the bowl it is ready when it stays floating; in the air and does not sink to the bottom - then WORK REAL FAST. Test a spoonful on waxed paper, if it keeps its shape after just a second you can start to spoon. If you wait until it is too firm, the last 1/2 of the batch will be too difficult to spoon out. You can pour this into a foil lined pan that has been Pam sprayed then cut into squares if you are not comfortable spooning it out.
Idaho Web Design