Brown Sugar Fudge
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a medium saucepan (2 to 3-quart size), combine brown sugar with evaporated milk and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling, stirring frequently, to soft ball stage or when candy
thermometer registers 234° to 238°.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter; do not stir. Let cool for about
25 minutes, then beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge just begins to
- Add chopped nuts and beat for a few more minutes, until it begins to
lose its gloss but is not too thick.
- Pour or spread in a greased pie plate or
8-inch square pan. Score when set and cut into squares when firm.
To test for soft ball stage:
- Use fresh cold water each time you test the
- In about 1 cup of cold water, spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of hot candy.
you hand into the water and push the candy to form a ball.
- Gently pick the
formed ball up (if it will not form a ball, it is not done) - the soft ball will
flatten slightly when removed from water.
Idaho Web Design