- 2 pints Brown Ale
- ½ pint Dry Sherry or Dry White Wine
- 75g (3oz) Soft Brown Sugar
- 3-4 Small or Medium Eating Apples
- ½ Lemon
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 180°C: 350°F
- Wash the apples and cut the skin around the middle of each.
- Place the apples, sugar and 4 tablespoons of the brown ale
into an ovenproof bowl and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the apples are
- Finely peel the lemon, removing only the outer waxy layer.
- Remove the apples and add the remaining ale, sherry or wine,
lemon peel, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Simmer gently over a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and serve immediately.
Caution - Homemade mead, beer, coffees, wines, and liqueurs do not have the shelf
life of commercial brands! In many instances the use of extracts
is preffered instead of cooking and breaking down fruits - to expedite
the ageing process and prevent acidity or fruit sedimentation (this
also sometimes prevents the natural flavours to permeate the liqueur)!
Sugars, coffee, chocolates, and fruits added with water can introduce
contaminants to liqueurs so refrigerate upon opening, serve and
enjoy as soon as possible!
Idaho Web Design