Kahlua and Creme de Cacao
Chocolate Coffee Liqueur)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry instant coffee of your choice (freshjar) or
1/2 cup fresh coffee grounds
- 1 pint (2 cups) chocolate syrup
- 1 pint (2 cups) white corn syrup
- 1 quart (4 cups) high proof vodka
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the syrups and water. Bring to a
boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 min.
- Remove from heat, stir in instant coffee and let it cool.
- When it is cool, stir in vanilla extract and vodka.
- Cover tightly; keep in cool dark place for 14 days, shaking thoroughly every 2
- Strain liqueur through dampened coffee filter paper into clean glass
container. (Change filter paper in mid-process or, if necessary, let drip
overnight as cocoa residue is very thick.) Repeat straining process if residue
- Pour into clean
bottles or wide mouth quart jars (Mason). Close tightly and store in a cool dark place for about one
Caution - Homemade coffees, wines and liqueurs do not have the shelf
life of commercial brands! In many instances the use of extracts
is preffered instead of cooking and breaking down fruits - to expedite
the ageing process and prevent acidity or fruit sedimentation (this
also sometimes prevents the natural flavours to permeate the liqueur)!
Sugars, coffee, chocolates, and fruits added with water can introduce
contaminants to liqueurs so refrigerate upon opening, serve and
enjoy as soon as possible!
Idaho Web Design