(served with Coffee)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cups cranberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- peel of one orange, sliced and scraped
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 heaping teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 6 cups of vodka
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, water, berries, orange peel and spices.
Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through a double layer
of cheesecloth (discard solids).
- In a large bottle or jar, combine the above mixture with the vodka. Cover
tightly and store 3 to 4 weeks in a cool, dark place, shaking the container
every few days.
- Strain the liquid again and repeat
until it's clear. Pour the liquid into two 1 quart bottles or wide mouth quart
jars (Mason); cover tightly and
store in a cool, dark place for two weeks before using.
Caution - Homemade
coffees, wines and liqueurs do not have the shelf
life of commercial brands! In many instances the use of extracts
is preffered instead of cooking and breaking down fruits - to expedite
the ageing process and prevent acidity or fruit sedimentation (this
also sometimes prevents the natural flavours to permeate the liqueur)!
Sugars, coffee, chocolates, and fruits added with water can introduce
contaminants to liqueurs so refrigerate upon opening, serve and
enjoy as soon as possible!
Idaho Web Design