Homemade Benedictine (Killmister) Recipe
Benedictine by John Killmister from http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/benedict.htm
Benedictine is supposed to be a closely guarded secret of the Benedictine Monks from aEngland. Though there are many books and recipes on the Internet about herbalism - It is important to remember that in making herbal preparations or distilled beverages that some ingredients may be harmful if mixed in the wrong amounts or improperly out of context by someone not trained in the "Art of Herbalism". Even using the wrong equipment can cause serious problems. So beware this recipe is for educational use only and not for actual use for consumption!!!
ingredients, press, and
filter - allow to set at 55 degrees F. for a week
- Cardamom seeds 15 grain (.2 tsp)
- Myrrh 15 grain (.2
- Mace 15 grain (.2 tsp)
- Galangal root (Alpinia officinarum
or Chinese ginger) 2.5 drachma (2 tsp)
- Ginger 2.5 drachma (2 tsp)
- Orange peel 2.5 drachma (2 tsp)
- Extract of aloes 1 drachma (or 3.88
grams or .136 oz or .8 tsp or 57 drops)
- Alcohol 90% (substitute
Ever Clear or Vodka or
use Brandy if you want B&B) 6 oz.
- Water 2.5 oz.
Macerate for a week, press, and filter - to the filtrate add:
- Caramel 10 drachma (or 38.8 grams or 1.363 oz. or
- Vanillin sugar 15 grain (or .975 grams or .034 oz. or .2
- Liquorice juice 5 drachma (or 19.4 grams or .681 oz or 4
tsp) 285 drops
- Coumarin 1.5 grain (or .0975 grams or .003 oz or
- Oil of lemon 1 drachma (or 3.88 grams or .136 oz or .082
tsp) 66 drops
- Oil of bitter orange 1 drachma (or 3.88 grams or .136 oz or .8
tsp) 57 drops
- Oil of anise 15 drops
- Oil of bitter almond 12 drops
- Oil of sassafras 7 drops
- Oil of hyssop 4 drops
- Oil of hops 2 drops
- Oil of cardamom 2 drops
- Oil of galangal 0.5 drachma (or 1.94 grams or .068 oz or
.4 tsp) 28 drops
- Oil of wormwood 40 drops
- Oil of ginger 15 drops
- Oil of cascarilla 15 drops
- Oil of millefoil (yarrow root) 10 drops
- Oil of angelica (Archangelica officinalis) 6 drops
- Oils of juniper 1 drop
- Oils of rosemary 1 drop
- Spirit of nitrous ether or
sweet Spirit of Niter - 8 oz.
- Spirit of ammonia aka Spirit
of Hawthorne or Sal Ammoniac - 15 minim (or .885 cc or 13 drops)
- Acetic ether - 1 oz.
Bring up the volume to 17.5 oz. by the addition of alcohol (90%). The traditional time for aging the
(maturing) was 2 years before being used for the following:
- 1 oz. Benedictine essence (made
- 24 oz. Alcohol 90%
(substitute Ever Clear or Vodka or
use Brandy if you want B&B)
- 22 oz. Sugar
- 20 oz.Water
Dissolve the syrup (sugar and
water) and add to the Alcohol, mix the final Liqueur with the Benedictine
Essence! Place in Bottle or Casket and bung!
- 1 ounce = 28.35 grams.
- 1 drachma = 3.88 grams.
- 1 grain = .065 grams.
- 1 minim = .059 c.c.
Idaho Web Design Tools