Spotted Dick Bread
- 10 oz Self-Raising Flour
- 5 oz Shredded Suet (Beef or Mutton Fat)
- ¼ pint Milk
- 4-6oz Currants or Raisins
- 3oz Castor Sugar
- 1 Lemon, zest only, finely grated
- Pinch Salt
- Mix all of the dry ingredients, including the grated lemon
zest, together thoroughly
- Add enough milk to produce a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 6 in
long and 2 in. in diameter.
- Prepare either a tea towel lightly dusted with flour, or
sheet of kitchen foil or a double thickness of greaseproof paper, brushed with
- Wrap loosely but securely, leaving enough space for it to
- Tie or seal the ends.
- Place in the steamer and cover tightly.
- Steam for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Serve cut into thick slices with hot custard.
Idaho Web Design