Laver Seaweed Bread
Yield: 2 servings
- Collect baskets of laver (a seaweed), avoiding sandy pieces.
- Break up large pieces, wash thoroughly in cold water
- Cook steadily for about 4 hours in large pan of boiling
- Check every 30 minutes so it does not boil dry. It is done
when sheets of laver have broken up into tiny pieces, forming a smooth puree.
- Drain excess liquid and refrigerate (will keep fresh as
puree about a week) or dry out and use as powder and seal in air tight
container (will store fresh several months).
- 1 ½ ozs Butter
- 3 Tsps Baking Powder
- Pinch of pepper
- ¾ lb. Flour
- 1 oz laver puree
- 3 oz Caerphilly Cheese
- ½ pint milk (about)
- Sift flour, baking powder, pepper, and add laver - DO NOT ADD SALT (Laver is already salty by nature).
- Rub in butter
- Mix well and add enough milk to make soft dough
- Roll out ½ inch thick, stamp into rounds, place on buttered
- Bake in hot oven 15 to 20 minutes
Serve hot with butter and best served with bacon or cockles.
Idaho Web Design