Cake Mixes from Scratch and Variations
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For a Yellow Cake: Sift together
flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Cut in shortening until fine crumbs are
- Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high
for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl frequently.
- Pour batter into greased and floured
9x13 inch pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30
Variation for a White Cake:
as for the basic cake except use 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs.
- Whites may
be beaten separately and added for a lighter cake.
Variation for a Chocolate Cake:
1/4 cup cocoa powder to the basic cake mix prior to adding the milk.
Variation for a Spice Cake:
- Add 1
teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
to the basic cake mix.
Variation for a Pineapple Upside Down
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Add 2/3 cup brown sugar,
stirring into the butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices in the pan.
- Top with the
basic (yellow cake) mix recipe.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, cool 5 minutes, and
invert to serve.
Idaho Web Design