Boston Brown Bread
May use coffee cans or juice cans as molds (15 or 20-ounce cans)!
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 3/4 cups dark
- 1 cup dark raisins
- Boiling water
- Sift cornmeal, flour, baking
soda, teaspoons sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, buttermilk and
- Gradually add milk mixture to flour mixture; beat with spoon just
until combined. Stir in raisins.
- Spoon into coffee cans, filling 2/3 full; tie pieces of heavy foil tightly
- Place cans on racks in a deep pot or kettle.
- Add boiling water 1/2 way up
sides of cans; cover.
- Steam 2 1/2 to 3 hours adding more boiling water when
Idaho Web Design