- 1 pk Yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar (white)
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 6 cups Medium rye flour
cups Whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Unprocessed bran flakes
- 1/8 tspn Caraway seeds
- 1 tsp Instant coffee powder
- 1/8 tsp Fennel seeds
- 4 1/2 cups Water
- Cooking oil
- 1 tbspn Molasses
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (sour milk or activated yogurt)
- 1/2 oz Unsweetened
- In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, stir together 1/2 cup warm water, 1
tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup bread flour, and yeast. Let grow for about 5 minutes.
It will bubble almost immediately.
- Begin adding bran flakes, flours (rye, wheat, all purpose), 4 cups water,
salt, chocolate, sugar,
coffee, molasses, fennel, carroway, buttermilk, and 2/3 cup oil into the mixing bowl on low speed with a dough hook for 1
to 2 minutes. Increase speed slightly, and adding bread flours (1/2 to 1 cup
at a time) until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Humidity determines how
much flour you need before the bread pulls away from the edge of the bowl. It is
normal for the dough to be sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface; cover with a
damp cloth. Let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Shape loaves, and place in greased 8 x 4 inch
- Let rise until dough is 1 inch above rim of pans, usually 1 hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until tops are
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto wire racks to
Idaho Web Design