- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fresh yeast
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice, pinch salt
- 1 egg, 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups mixed fruit (currants, sultanas, raisins, candied
- 1 gold ring (in greaseproof paper)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Cream the yeast and the sugar and allow the milk to froth,
which should be at blood heat.
- Sieve the flour, caster sugar and spice and rub in the
- Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and the
- Beat with a wooden spoon for about 10 minutes until a good
- The fruit and the salt should be worked in by hand; the gold
ring wrapped in greaseproof paper should then be added, and the whole kneaded.
- Put in a warm bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm place
for about an hour until doubled in size
- Knead lightly and place in a lightly-greased 7 in /15 cm
diameter cake tin and allow a further 30 minutes rising time. Bake near the top
of a pre-heated oven at 400°F, 200°C for 45 minutes.
- On removing from the oven the brack can be glazed with syrup
made from 2 tsp sugar dissolved in 3 tsp boiling water
Idaho Web Design